As part of the the MFG Academies Trust, our aim is to provide an exceptional, student-centred Post 16 experience across a broad range of 33 A Level and BTEC courses. You really are a name, not a number at Mirfield College. The college’s size means that you are enrolled on the right programme aligned to your career aspirations and have access to high quality specialist teaching in smaller than average class sizes with one to one support outside of the class, so that you can always get help.
You will enjoy an extensive enrichment programme and student union activities to develop you further into a happy, resilient independent learner, in readiness for access into higher education, apprenticeship or work. In fact, the results speak for themselves, we give our students a real head start so when competing for a university course, apprenticeship or employment, all 100% our students go onto the destination of their choice.
You’re joining at a very exciting time. We’re heavily investing in Mirfield College for the next generation of students and are proud to be able to offer a personalised and exclusive college experience that gives every student the support to realise their full potential.
Mirfield College has everything you need, all in one welcoming community with a great atmosphere. It’s a modern building with a range of study areas that have led to its excellent reputation for student help and support.
We know that studying works up an appetite, so we’ve got all your food and drink needs sorted. Students visit Vibe, our college refectory serving breakfast, snacks and lunch every day until 2pm by our own dedicated chef and team.
You’ll have free access to the sport and fitness gym for 12 months to work up a sweat and enjoy a personalised gym programme tailored to your needs.
We’ve invested in our post 16 provision and offer amazing facilities and equipment and we’ll continue to do this, to ensure we have the best environment for your student experience.
We aim to support you along your Post 16 journey to develop you as an outstanding member of our community, who shares our values. We have developed a range of strategies and targeted support to suit each individual student.
Your Personal Tutor
Your Personal Tutor will be the first point of contact for you and your parents/carers. S/he will monitor and support your welfare and academic progress closely through our structured Student Performance Management programme. This will support and guide your development in preparation for your first choice university or higher level apprenticeship.
The Wellbeing Centre
The Wellbeing Centre offers a variety of information and resources which support all the students and parent/carers at the Academy. The Centre provides confidential one-to-one professional counselling and works with a range of external specialist providers to assist students with any personal issues that may arise.
Academic Learning Mentors
Academic Learning Mentors are our skilled professionals who are available in the Silent Study Area. They offer one-to-one, group interventions and in-lesson support, to ensure you develop the skills and knowledge necessary for success.
Student Support Office
College Student Support Office provides additional support and guidance from a specialist team who are available throughout the day to ensure that you are happy and focused on your studies. Confidential support can be accessed from this team as well as information regarding the 16-19 Bursary, attendance, first aid, safeguarding and any general enquiries.
Think Futures Careers
We believe it is essential that our students receive outstanding personal advice and guidance, enabling them to make well-informed decisions about their future. The Think Futures Careers Team are here to guide you through to your next steps, whether this is employment, training, apprenticeships or higher education.
As well as expert advisors, we run a formal programme of inspiring careers events throughout the year where a range of specific support is given, which includes:
- Spotlight career workshop
- Face to face careers interviews
- Higher Education evening for parents/carers
- A Higher Education programme
- Entice Apprenticeship events
- UCAS events
- Job seekers’ support
- University Open Day promotions
- Annual Careers Convention
Maintaining and supporting your happiness, safety and wellbeing inside and outside Sixth Form is paramount. Further to the support available from your Personal Tutor we have a dedicated team of Safeguarding Officers throughout the Academy to support you with any safeguarding concerns you may encounter.
We will consistently ensure:
- Students are supported to develop independent healthy and safe lifestyle choices
- Current safeguarding issues are actively discussed and promoted through tutorial and citizenship programmes• A secure and safe environment where students are respected and listened to in order to learn and develop
- Support is in place for identifying, reporting and handling cases, or suspected cases, of abuse.
What makes us different?
- We offer 33 Mix and match courses, both Linear & BTEC
- Exceptional Student Experience and support
- First Class facilities with smaller than average class sizes
Mirfield College students can exclusively access the campus via the College student entrance gate on Slipper Lane.
There are many regular and frequent bus services that stop in front of or close to Mirfield College. Arriva and Metro bus services include: MG1, 202, 203, 205, 261, 262, 263
Vehicle permits are available to students who are able to drive for parking on site.
Secure and dry bicycle storage is available to students as a greener,healthy and cost-effective travel option.
To enable our staff and students to achieve their best.
- To sustain a culture of high expectations in which every individual is valued equally.
- To equip all our students for lifelong learning enabling them to achieve their potential.
- To provide an environment in which all staff experience a sense of professional well-being and are enabled to give of their best.
- To provide an engaging, creative and enjoyable experience of teaching and learning.
- To engender a sense of personal worth and physical and emotional well-being which enables students to become confident, self-reliant, self-disciplined, healthy and responsible.
- To promote excellent standards of behaviour through highly effective personal relationships.
- To equip students with the knowledge, skills and understanding necessary for them to make a positive contribution to society and prepare them for the world of work.
- To foster effective partnerships between students, staff, parents, governors and the wider community.