Welcome to Kirklees College
Kirklees College offers a wide range of options for young people aged 16+ including full time study programmes and apprenticeships.
With over 300 courses in many different subject areas, Kirklees College can help you reach your full potential and get the results you want.
From 8 different sites located across Huddersfield and Dewsbury, Kirklees College has become one of the biggest colleges in the UK with over 13,000 students enrolled.
At Kirklees College, we are dedicated to providing our student with the best education experience possible. In addition to supporting and challenging you to develop your skills and knowledge in the classroom, we aspire to give you the opportunity to put these into practice and gain valuable experience in the workplace. Work placements are a great opportunity to gain these skills and experience.
You can also earn while you learn with an apprenticeship at Kirklees College. Our apprenticeships give you an excellent start to your career and a foot in the door with an employer.
- art and design
- animal care, equine and land based
- business and enterprise
- computing and ICT
- children and families
- foundation learning
- hair and beauty
- motor vehicle
- health and social care
- hospitality and catering
- performing arts
- process manufacturing
- public services
- travel and tourism
Kirklees College is committed to supporting all students by providing the highest standards of support to all learners. When you start college, a team of people will support you including your tutors, study programme leader, progress coach and learning support adviser. Below are some on the support programmes and provisions in place to help you-
1. Progress Coach - When you start your studies at Kirklees College you are assigned a Progress Coach who will be with you every step of the way through your studies and engage in regular Progression Achievement Development (PAD) reviews.
2. Free counselling service- Students can access the college’s free counselling service should they need it. A non-judgemental service that employs a team of skilled professionals who can help you get back on track and support you if you are dealing with any issues.
3. Careers advice- We offer a dedicated area packed with the latest resources, access to careers guidance software and the opportunity to book individual confidential appointments, with Level 6 professionally qualified careers advisers.
What makes us different?
So why choose Kirklees College? What can we offer you that is unique?
1. Employability and facilities- At Kirklees College, we aim to prepare you for the real world with courses that offer practical training, and help you gain skills that can be utilised when you enter the world of work. Our state-of-the art facilities enable you to get hands on with the most up to date equipment used in the industry to set you on the path for the working environment, and giving you the necessary skills to make you more employable.
2. Extensive Apprenticeship programmes- We offer you the opportunity to combine study and employment whilst getting paid. We train over 2000 apprentices over 30 different occupational areas at 1,000 companies throughout West Yorkshire.
3. Hands-on Learning- At Kirklees College we offer an alternative study route to those who prefer a more hands-on learning approach. A vocational course focuses more on practical learning rather than the traditional method which is heavily based on course work and exams. Many of our Vocational courses can earn you enough UCAS points if you wish to go to University. From BTECs to Diplomas and NVQs, we offer a variety of study options to suit you.
4. Employers and Work Placements- With great working connections around West Yorkshire, Kirklees College is able to connect you to the right employer. If you wish to undertake an Apprenticeship or work placement, Kirklees College has a dedicated team to guide you.
Kirklees College proudly boasts 8 centres across Dewsbury and Huddersfield, each centre has been conveniently located; accessible via public transport and most centres offer car parking facilities.
Our main centres, Huddersfield Waterfront and Dewsbury Springfield Centre are around 10 minute walk away from the bus and train stations.
1. COLS Awards ceremony- At Kirklees College we love to celebrate the hard work and efforts our students put in to their studies. We hold an annual awards ceremony to recognise the achievements of our students, and staff. Students are recognised for their efforts by tutors who nominate them for the award.
2. Alumni- Over the years, Kirklees College has amassed a number of distinguished alumni who are notable for a wide variety of different achievements.
- Nafisa Tosh - Fashion Designer/ Stylist who worked for fashion labels including Givenchy, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Vogue and many more.
- Lisa Wood (Tula Lotay) - Comic artist for Marvel and DC
- Christopher Bailey - Former CEO of Burberry
- Jodie Whittaker – Actress and the current Doctor Who
- Paula Lane – Actress, played the role of Kylie Platt on Coronation Street
3. College Achievements- The college is also proud to have achieved the Tes FE award for support for learners. We are also recognised as TEF Silver award winners for Higher Education.
Aleksandra undertook an apprenticeship in Business Administration after wanting to enhance her employability skills and climb the career ladder in her chosen field.
After completing several other qualifications including ESOL Level 1 and a Level 3 Diploma in Travel and Tourism, Aleksandra started studying towards her NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Business administration with the Mid Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce, and on completion was offered a permanent position with the organisation as Certification and Customer Services Coordinator / Chamber Childcare Administrator.
Aleksandra excelled in her courses and really enjoyed taking part in classes. They really helped strengthen her experience in an office environment and she learnt a lot about business and management. Aleksandra really found the college lecturers helpful in mentoring her to develop her skills and they helped provide a better understanding of taking the principals learnt in class into the work place.
Aleksandra said: “I really developed through my learning at Kirklees College and from my early days working in a warehouse bringing up two young children to taking that leap to study full time, to landing my dream job, it’s been an amazing journey and I couldn’t have done it without the help of Kirklees College and the Mid Yorkshire Chamber of Commerce.”
Aleksandra studied the Business Administration Level 2 Apprenticeship. Find out more about the course HERE.
From an early age former Kirklees College Public Services student Luke Raynor knew he wanted a career within the Police force and although the journey may have been somewhat challenging, he never let anything get in the way of his dreams.
Now a Police Community support officer based out of Dewsbury Police Station, Luke serves the communities of Saville Town, Thornhill Lees and the Thornhill area of Dewsbury providing reassurance, and ensuring people within these communities feel safe.
Luke was not naturally academic and found school hard due to his dyslexia. Despite these potential set-backs, he did not let this affect him and after finishing school, enrolled at Kirklees College. It was through the support of his Public Services tutors and the varied course structure that enabled him to fully understand and embrace the role of a police officer and set him on the path to move forward in his career choice.
After graduating Luke joined the West Yorkshire Police and is currently working towards becoming a police officer.
“My time at Kirklees College enabled me to gain the foundation skills I needed to move forward with my career choice and it ultimately led to me enrolling at university. Without the support and commitment of the tutors and the attention and help they provided throughout the course, I might not be where I am today. I love my job and am looking forward to the exciting challenges it will bring in the future, as I work towards my goal to become a Police Officer,” said Luke.
Luke completed the Level 3 Diploma in Public Services. If you would like to find out more about this course, please CLICK HERE.
Claire Heppenstall is currently flying high working in her dream job as a member of the air cabin crew for Jet2.
Claire studied Travel and Tourism Level 3 at Kirklees College and says the course gave her confidence, as well as helped her achieve her dreams.
“The course really helped my confidence. It also helped me achieved what I wanted to do, it gave me an insight into what working for cabin crew is actually like. I knew what I wanted to do before the course but didn’t have an idea of what the job would really entail.”
“I have been all over Europe to places like Paris, Rome and Ibiza. One day I would really like to experience long haul but for now I love what I’m doing.”
Claire says that there is more to her job than may meet the eye and that whilst it is hard work her time at Kirklees College has prepared her for her role. Claire says it is important for students not to give up on their dreams.
Claire completed the Travel and Tourism City and Guilds Diploma Level 3. If you're interested in finding out more about this course CLICK HERE.