Why study English Language?
A Level English Language is a diverse and engaging course;
exploring how we communicate in different ways through a range of spoken, written and electronic texts. Discover the magnitude and magnificence of our language and how context, style and delivery influence our understanding of it.
You will get an opportunity to develop skills, such as journalistic writing, language analysis, investigating and evaluating contexts, researching and examining linguistic terminology, presenting ideas in discussion, communicating in individual and group
work, applying and understanding language theory, and creative and imaginative writing.
Component 1: Language Variation - Paper code: 9EN0/01
Written examination, lasting 2 hours 15 minutes.
● Two sections: students answer the question in Section A and the question in
● Total of 60 marks available – 30 marks per section.
● Section A – Individual Variation: one question on two unseen 21st-century
linked texts/data. Students produce an extended comparative
● Section B – Variation over Time: one question on two thematically linked
unseen texts/data, from two different periods. Students produce an extended
Total 35% of Grade
Component 2: Child Language - Paper code: 9EN0/02
Written examination, lasting 1 hour.
● Total of 45 marks available.
● One question based on a set of unseen data – either
spoken or written.
Students produce an extended response.
Total 20% of Grade
Component 3: Investigating Language - Paper code: 9EN0/03
Written examination, lasting 1 hour 45 minutes.
● Two sections: students answer one question from Section A and
from Section B.
● Total of 45 marks available: Section A question is 15 marks and Section B
question is 30 marks.
● Section A – one question on unseen data. Students must answer the question
on the subtopic they have researched
● Section B – one evaluative question. Students must answer the question on
the subtopic they have researched and must make connections with data from
their investigation. Students produce an extended response.
Total 25% of Grade
Coursework: Crafting Language - Code: 9EN0/04
Students produce two assignments:
● Assignment 1: two pieces of original writing from the same genre,
differentiated by function and/or audience
● Assignment 2: one commentary, reflecting on the two pieces of original
writing produced and making connections with research undertaken
● Total of 50 marks available: Assignment 1 is 30 marks and Assignment 2 is
Total 20% of Grade