Access to Higher Education: Creative Digital Skills (TV, Film and Games) Level 3 Full-time (FMED)
Arts, Media and Publishing
The Access to Higher Education in Creative Digital Skills (Film, TV and Games) is designed to meet the needs of those who wish to pursue entrance onto a degree in Games Design, Digital Skills or Film and TV. In particular, the course is designed for students who may be approaching entrance to higher education from non-traditional routes without previously fulfilling their academic potential. The course has a practical and vocational ethos underpinned by a theoretical and academic foundation that will ensure a smoother route into the world of higher education.
The main aims of the programme are to:
- Develop to a high level of proficiency the skills, techniques, intellectual understanding, practical skills, digital, generic and personal skills, techniques, intellectual understanding, practical skills, required for study at undergraduate level
- Develop to a high level a broad range of skill-based experiences required for the study of games design at undergraduate level
You will spend two days per week at the Church Street campus, which is part of Barnsley College’s Higher Education. You will have access to all the facilities including our well-equipped TV studio, recording studio, computer rooms, equipment store and library. The course content has been designed to prepare you for progression onto a Games Design, Digital Skills or Film and TV degree. Within the access course you will develop skills in relation to academic study as well as the practical and creative skills needed to launch your professional journey.
As part of your course you will study the following units:
- HE Study Skills (Level 3, 9 credits)
- Organisation and Evaluation of Study (Level 3, 6 credits)
All level 3 and concerned with academic subject content:
- Digital concepts and skills (Level 3, 3 credits)
- Graphic Design – Creative Imaging (Level 3, 3 credits)
- Web Design and Production (Level 3, 9 credits)
- Marketing (Level 3, 6 credits)
- Creative Writing (Level 3, 3 credits)
- Digital portfolio creation (Level 3, 9 credits)
- Computer Game Engines (Level 3, 6 credits)
- 3D modelling for games (Level 3, 6 credits)
- Video Production (Level 3, 9 credits)
- Cinematography (Level 3, 3 credits)
Assessment is coursework-led so will be project-based throughout the year. Where possible, a variety of assessment methods will be used which includes both written and practical approaches to assignments.