This qualification, when combined with GCSEs in English and maths, enables you to work as an Early Years Educator in a wide range of childcare and education settings. It is a professional qualification which prepares you to work in the early years sector by providing a detailed knowledge of how children learn and develop and the role of the practitioner in supporting children to reach their full potential.
The course will provide you with the opportunity to gain outstanding experience and skills - working in childcare and education settings for sustained periods of time, including the potential of an amazing international work placement in forest schools in Germany.
You will study the following 8 mandatory units:
- Child development from conception to seven years
- Children’s health and well-being
- Providing safe environments for children
- Child health
- Play and learning
- Understanding children’s additional needs
- Observation, assessment and planning
- Professional Practice Portfolio 1
You will be continually assessed through written assignments, satisfactory perfomance on placement and an external exam.
A minimum of 5 GCSEs with the following grades:
- English at 4 or above and Maths at 3 or above, and
- three other GCSEs at 4 or above
- A satisfactory interview. You will need to show that you:
- are committed to the course and that you aim to improve your literacy and numeracy skills as you study,
- have good school reports for attendance, punctuality and behaviour,
- where possible, have evidence of previous experience of working with or caring for children, for example, voluntary groups or work experience
You will need to have a DBS check (formerly CRB) which the college will pay for.
Supervisory positions including deputy manager and manager of childcare settings; teaching assistant roles; child minding; nannying abroad or in the UK.