The course is for anyone who is interested in working with children. It gives you an introduction to many of the topics that will prepare you to support children's learning and development, and is an excellent starting point for nyone keen to develop a career in the early years industry.
You will spend three days in college with lots of practical activities. You may also spend time working with children to give you some valuable work experience.
Typical topics of study include:
- care of children,
- food and nutrition,
- health and safety in the home and groups,
- human growth and development,
- preparation for work,
- personal development,
- play and practical activities.
You will be assessed with written assignments and satisfactory reports from work placement.
A minimum of 4 GCSEs with the following grades:
- English at 2 or above and Maths at 1 or above, and
- two other GCSEs at 2 or above
A satisfactory interview. You will need to show that you:
- are committed to the course and that you aim to improve your literacy and numeracy skills as you study,
- have good school reports for attendance, punctuality and behaviour,
- where possible, have evidence of previous experience of working with or caring for children, for example, voluntary groups or work experience
You will need to have a DBS check (formerly CRB) which the college will pay for.
After completing this course you could go on to have a career in childcare.