Studying A Level English Language and Literature is an exciting opportunity to study novels, poetry and plays along with the study of non-fiction, spoken and written texts. This broad course also provides you with the opportunity to write creatively.
The topics you study will build on your GCSE studies and expand your ability to discuss and develop your love of language and literature. Topics you will study include:
• Studying texts such as The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and Shakespeare’s Othello
• Exploring poetry including selected poems by Carol Ann Duffy
• A creative writing project
English Language and Literature will see you analyse texts and develop your understanding of how language can be used to persuade, inform or communicate. Our teachers are all subject specialists, and through engaging lessons, you will explore new ideas and challenge your own thinking.
Your lessons involve plenty of discussion, debate and working with others. You’ll hone your debate skills, and broaden your horizons.
During your lessons you will enjoy exploring writers’ techniques, some sociolinguistic theory and a range of genres
Examination and coursework. Two examinations account for 80% of your final grade whilst your coursework portfolio accounts for the remaining 20%. Your coursework portfolio is a personal investigation into a literary and non-literary text
GCSE English Literature grade cannot be lower than a GCSE grade 4. General entry criteria will also apply, this is available on our website.
English Language and Literature is a traditional subject, and is accepted by a huge range of courses. Of course, this subject has a natural link to careers such as Journalism, Teaching, Advertising, Human Resources, or even Law!